Wednesday, February 10, 2010

If I make/serve food, can I have my nails painted?

I start work in a coffee shop this week and will make people food by hand without gloves. Someone told me a lot of food places won't let you have your nails painted if you make food, but my manager didn't mention whether or not I could. Can I have my nails painted?If I make/serve food, can I have my nails painted?
It's a health code violation to prepare food with your bare hands with painted nails. Your manager may overlook it but the health department will not.If I make/serve food, can I have my nails painted?
Unfortunately, it is not recommended. A lot of places don't want you to use nail polish with the fact that little pieces can break off of the nail paint, and I don't think that people would like to have little plastic pieces of nail polish in their food or drink. The only way that you would be able to wear nail polish is if you were wearing gloves, and there was no chance that it would end up either on the plates, food or drinks of people.
I also work for a chain restaurant...and NO, we can't have polish or extensions...they have to be short , clean and unpolished...and the job I do is that of a server in a buffet restaurant and I don't touch the food and I still can't have any polish or anything else. Its just company policy , so I understand..
this is a great question to ask your interviewer during the hiring process as each business has its own set of rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment